Kathmandu Valley Trek
This idyllic walk takes you through quiet forests and bustling villages in the Shivapuri Valley and then up to Shivapuri Hill (2729m), the highest point on this trek. From the top of Shivapuri Hill you’ll see more than 60 towering mountain peaks, including Manaslu, Boudhahimal, Ganeshhimal, Langtang range, Dorjeelakpa, Shisapangma and Gaurishankar. You’ll also trek to the village of Nagarkot, one of the most scenic locations in the entire Kathmandu Valley with commanding views of the great Himalayan peaks.
Kathmandu – Kakani (1982m)
We start in Kathmandu and drive 29 kilometres northwest to Kakani, a scenic village with beautiful views of the Himalayas stretching from the Dhaulagiri and Annapurna ranges to Ganesh Himal. The landscape here is verdant, with rhododendrom and oak forests on the southern slope leading down to Balaju. Camp overnight at High Hill.
High Hill – Shivapuri Hill (2729m)
Our walk along green hilltops takes us to Shivapuri, famous for its abundant wildlife and wide variety of birds. This national park is a watershed that provides most of the drinking water for Kathmandu far below.
Shivapuri hill – Chisapani (2050m)
Today we walk farther along the hills to Chisapani, a Tamang village whose name means ‘cold water’. We stay overnight here, with beautiful views of the mountains
Chisapani – Nagarkot (2175m)
Our walk today takes us to Nagarkot, a popular mountain resort town famous for its spectacular views of Ganesh Himal and many other Himalayan peaks. The sunset views are spectacular. Surrounded by terraced hillsides and picturesque farms, this is a tranquil setting to relax and enjoy the view.
Nagarkot– Dhulikhel (1440m)
Today we walk across the hills past terraced farmlands and a green landscapeto Dhulikhel, an ancient town more than 500 years old. Its Newar people are known for their artistry, and houses feature carved window frames. There are many temples and sacred statues throughout the town.
Dhulikhel – Kathmandu
Today we travel from Khulikhel back to Kathmandu. On the return we pass the medieval town of Banepa.
Whats Includes & Not Included
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- Three nights hotel accommodation and breakfast in Kathmandu
- Licensed and trained trekking guides
- Porters for carrying goods and supplies
- All accommodation during trek
- All meals and hot beverages whilst trekking
- Transportation to and from trailhead
- All necessary documents and permits for trekking (where applicable)
- National Park/Conservation Area entry permit
- Insurance, medication, and equipment for staff
- Coordination of Quick Rescue service (costs covered by your insurance plan)
- International airfares
- Travel/trekking insurance
- Excess baggage charges more than 16kg and hand bag more than 5kg in domestic flights
- Visa fees
- Rescue charge
- Drinks (cold and alcoholic)
- Lunches and dinners whilst not trekking
Read our FAQ that answers general questions