A Taste of Tibeton Friday, September 3, 2010
This tour is just enough to give you a flavour of life in the area in and around the city of Lhasa, the ancient capital of Tibet and once home to the Dalai Lama. You will visit all of the main historical and cultural sights, including monasteries, temples and the Potala Palace, as well as having free time to wander and explore this fascinating city at your own pace. Your drive through the countryside to and from the airport also gives you a glimpse of more rural Tibetan life.
Highlights of the trek
Scenic flight over Himalaya, sightseeing in Lhasa including Potala Palace, Norbulingka, Jokhang Temple, Sera and Drepung Buddhist monasteries.
For pricing please contact us
All treks are ex-kathmandu and can be customized if you wish to stay longer:
Note that TIBET visa requires 7 days processing
Read our helpful check list before booking
Itinerary can be customized according to your needs and length of stay. Please email with your requirements.
Arrive in Kathmandu, where our representatives will escort you to your hotel.
Half day sightseeing around UNESCO Bhaktapur / Kathmandu where your guide will escort you on a tour of Buddhist and Hindu temples and shrines reflecting ancient local traditions. There is time to explore the city’s many places of interest on your own or take a rest while trekking permits are finalised. In the evening sample a delicious traditional Nepali dinner. Overnight in Kathmandu.
You may have already received Day 1 and 2 if you also booked one of our Nepal treks.
A 90-minute morning flight with stunning views of the Himalaya will bring you to Gonggar Airport, Tibet where you will meet your Tibetan guide and make the drive to Lhasa. Take some time to wander the local streets before dinner.
Your first stop will be the country’s largest monastery at Drepung where you can admire the beautiful Tibetan Buddhist architecture and soak up the atmosphere in the temples. In the afternoon you will visit the Norbulingka, the traditional summer residence of the Dalai Lama, set in lovely grounds just outside the city.
Your day begins with a visit to the famous Tibetan landmark of the Potala Palace, seat of the Dalai Lama. This distinctive palace, once the tallest building in the world, is perched on a rocky outcrop overlooking the city. There is time to explore those rooms which are open to the public and to enjoy the views over the area. After lunch you will drive to Sera Monastery where you should be able to witness the fantastic spectacle of monks engaged in traditional debating in the courtyard, accompanied by dramatic hand movements.
Today you will drive to Gonggar Airport to make the return flight across the Himalaya to Kathmandu, where you can relax or wander the bustling streets before your final dinner.
The trek program is – because of weather or unforeseen events – subject to change.
Services and costs included in the price
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- Three nights hotel accommodation and breakfast in Kathmandu
- Licensed and trained trekking guides
- Porters for carrying goods and supplies
- All accommodation during trek
- All meals and hot beverages whilst trekking
- Transportation to and from trailhead
- All necessary documents and permits for trekking (where applicable)
- National Park/Conservation Area entry permit
- Equipment such as sleeping bag, tents, mattresses
- Cooking equipment
- Camp-site charges
- Insurance, medication, and equipment for staff
- Coordination of Quick Rescue service (costs covered by your insurance plan)
Services and costs NOT included in price
- International airfares
- Travel/trekking insurance
- Excess baggage charges more than 16kg and hand bag more than 5kg in domestic flights
- Visa fees
- Airport departure tax
- Rescue charge
- Drinks (cold and alcoholic)
- Expenses of personal nature
- Permit and liaison officer fee (where applicable)
- Lunches and dinners whilst not trekking