Bhaktapur Earthquake Relief Project
As you have probably heard the situation in Nepal is still extremely difficult. It is predicted to worsen as basic supplies are depleted and environmental health conditions deteriorate. Bhaktapur has sustained some of the worst damage, with over half of the homes in the old city either destroyed or too badly damaged to be livable. Many of the ITrekNepal staff members and their families have been living in tents with only the most rudimentary services to sustain themselves. The attached photos convey some of the damage to homes and historical buildings throughout Bhaktapur. The strength and resiliency of the people of Nepal in the face of these challenges has been remarkable.
We have organized a relief effort specifically to assist the ITrekNepal families in Bhaktapur and in villages to rebuild their homes and their lives. With your generous assistance we are confident that they will be able to recover and that Bhaktapur will one day again be a great city to live in and to visit. The Bhaktapur Relief Project will channel 100% of all donations to the New Hope Society, a registered charity in Nepal that is managed by Shree and other ITrekNepal staff members. The funds will be used for the following projects:
- Purchasing supplies and equipment to meet the immediate living needs of ITrekNepal families and other Bhaktapur residents. Supplies include face masks, medications, and water filtration products
- Purchase building supplies and services required to reconstruct or build new homes for ITrekNepal family members
- Purchase basic supplies and building materials for the families of ITrekNepal guides and porters living in villages around Nepal
- Pay for other services as required to support the rebuilding of ITrekNepal family homes in Bhaktapur and other locations
We will provide periodic reports on the collection and distribution of donations, and the progress made toward meeting the goals of the project. Wherever possible we are requesting donations-in-kind or special pricing for the purchase of supplies. ITrekNepal has donated all of our camping supplies to families in Bhaktapur who are having to live outside their homes.
Although at some time in the future it will be possible to send donations directly to the New Hope Society account in Bhaktapur, the current banking and infrastructure limitations in Nepal require that we receive and distribute the funds via the ITrek international bank and PayPal accounts. By collecting funds in the U.S. and sending them as a lump sum to Nepal we will also reduce the bank fees that would be deducted for indiviidual direct donations to Nepal. We are not using a crowd-funding website for this campaign so no commissions or other fees will be deducted from donations. You can make a donation to the Bhaktapur Relief Project via PayPal, bank transfer or personal check (U.S. only):
- Donations via PayPal or credit card should be made to the account firstname.lastname@example.org. Click the donate button below to contribute via PayPal.
- Donations by personal check from any U.S. bank can be made to “ITrek LLC” with a memo line notation that it is for the “Bhaktapur Relief Project”. Send checks to PO Box 2363, LO, OR 97035
- Bank transfers can also be arranged. Please contact us for instructions to send a bank transfer at email@example.com
Please follow up any donations with an e-mail letting us know how much was sent. We will send you a receipt as soon as possible after receiving your donation. We do not have a registered charity status in the U.S. so we are not able to provide tax-deductibility documentation for your donations at this time.
Thank you so much for your generous contributions during this difficult time. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions for other ways we can provide support for the ITrekNepal family and Bhaktapur.